A partnership between Haleakala National Park and
The Friends for the Nene Adoption Project.
Give the Gift of a Nene
By adopting a Nene, the state bird of Hawaii, you'll be helping us to protect endangered species and important habitats in the Park from destruction by feral goats and pigs, from invasion by alien plants, and from predation by mongooses, feral cats, and rats.
- The Nene is an endemic bird on the Federal and state of Hawaii Lists of Endangered Species.
- There are less than 1800 Nene in the wild throughout Hawaii.
- Nene were once extinct from Maui
- Nene were re-introduced in to Maui in the 1960s.
- The total Nene population in the Park is estimated to be about 300, and West Maui supports perhaps 200 more.
When you ADOPT-A-NENE, you will receive adoption papers. FHNP will no longer send other gifts in response to nene adoptions.
A year's membership with the Friends of Haleakala will be included with your adoption of $30 or more if you choose.
Click the button below to Adopt-a-Nene online with a credit card payment.
If you prefer to donate by check or cash, please CLICK HERE,
print the donation form, complete it, and send to Friends of Haleakalā National Park with your payment.
MAHALO for your support.
Friends of Haleakala National Park
P.O. Box 322 ~ Makawao, HI 96768
(808) 876-1673 ~